Professional Transport Services

Points based immigration system

9 Dec 2020



The Government are introducing a new points-based immigration system, from 1st January 2021, that will introduce job, salary and language requirements for when employers recruit employees from outside the United Kingdom.


Freedom of movement between the UK and EU will end and the UK immigration system that will be in place will treat all applicants equally, regardless of where they come from.  Anyone you want to recruit from outside the UK, excluding Irish citizens, will need to apply for permission first.


People coming to work in the UK will need to meet certain requirements:


•            a job offer from an approved sponsor

•            the job must be at the required skill and salary level

•            they must speak English at the required level


After 1 January 2021 employers will need to apply for and hold a sponsor licence to hire most eligible employees from outside the UK.  A licensed sponsor can recruit skilled workers globally for 4 years.


To apply to become a licensed sponsor an employer will need to:


•            choose the type of skilled worker licence you want to apply for

•            put appropriate systems in place to act as a sponsor

•            apply online and pay a fee


There will be in place a scheme to transfer a worker from a part of the business overseas to work in the same business in the UK.  This is the Intra-Company Transfer and will require an application to be made and criteria to be met.


To hire someone from outside the UK (excluding Irish citizens), the position being advertised must meet the minimum skill and salary thresholds:


•            the minimum skill level will be set at RQF3 (equivalent to A level)

•            the minimum salary threshold will be the higher of £25,600 or the ‘going rate’ for that job –                some employees may be paid less than £25,600, for example if their job is in a shortage               occupation or where the applicant has a PhD relevant to the position

•            any applicants from outside the UK must also meet English language requirements




Guidance on how to become a UK visa sponsor:


Apply for a sponsor licence:


Further information and a list of occupations that are at the required skill level with the minimum salaries for these occupations:


Additional guidance on employees that can be employed:


Home Office podcast to assist employers: