Professional Transport Services

International road haulage – Driver documentation

14 Jan 2021

The documents which need to be carried if you’re the driver or a passenger in a lorry or other heavy goods vehicle (HGV) that crosses international borders can be checked at the link below.

The information has been updated to include information on:

  • International Driving Permits (IDPs) to confirm that it will usually not need one to drive in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
  • Driver CPC section to make it clear your UK Driver CPC card can still be used in the EU if you’re employed by a UK company.
  • Healthcare section to confirm that UK-issued European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) issued before the end of 2020 are still accepted in EU countries, until their expiry date, and there will be different rules for people travelling to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
  • Green Cards need to be carried to prove you have vehicle and trailer insurance.
  • Coronavirus (COVID-19) test results for journeys from England to France.
  • Checking an HGV is ready to cross the border and getting a Kent Access Permit.

Further information: